We went to an awesome drum show the other night called “La Bomba de Tiempo.” I was told that none of the music is rehearsed, it just sort of happens naturally. Very cool show. These guys put Nick Cannon and the rest of the Drumline to shame.
This is the band that we saw in Buenos Aires. The show has definitely been a highlight of my trip thus far. They put on a great show, and I dropped 50 pesos to buy both of their CDs in the process. Even if you don’t understand Spanish, you should watch this.. It’s a fun video!
Bueno. I have to say that I’ve been in Buenos Aires for less than a week and I’m totally in love with it already. I’ve been blessed to spend time with my friend Paul and his friends here in Buenos Aires. They’ve showed me the ropes and made sure I haven’t gotten lost on the “subte” (subway) or the “colectivo” (bus). After just a few short days, I have truly developed a love for this place... (also for empanadas). Not only do the people have great accents, they are some of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. My classes are going well... definitely a good review, plus I’m learning LOTS.
T-5 of Buenos Aires thus far:
1. The accents. Difficult at times to understand, but very cool nonetheless. I’m still getting used to saying “Me sshamo Shoanna.”
2. Mi barrio - I live in Palermo, which a pretty trendy neighborhood. I spend a lot of time walking around and going in and out of cafes and used book stores.
3. El subte - I kind of love public transportation. It makes every trip you take a little more interesting. I’m not brave enough for the “colectivo” yet, because you never really know where the bus is going to take you. Apart from my feet, the subte is my transportation of choice.
4. ONDA VAGA - We went to a concert a couple of nights ago, and it was awesome. Imagine an Argentine hipster band... very diggable. I shamelessly took pictures and bought both of their CDs, if that tells you anything.
5. The pace of life - Buenos Aires is a huge city, but life still moves a little slower here... on “Argentime,” if you will... ba dum ppsshhh....
I have officially conquered 1/2 of The Beatles records in my dad’s collection. I have learned to listen past the thousands of teenage girls screaming and enjoy the musical genius of The Beatles.... it’s easily done because I often remind myself that I would have been one of those screaming teenage girls, without question. “Two of Us” has become my theme song for the summer. Enjoy!